Full Time Program
Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing (ACM 40412)
Our nationally recognised Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills required to commence your career as a veterinary nurse or to gain national qualifications as an experienced professional.
Taking your love of animals and a desire to seek a professional career in caring for animals, this course will provide you with the necessary hands on skills and theoretical knowledge to work in the veterinary and animal care industry.
We combine intensive practical training in our purpose built facility located in Bentley, Western Australia with a high standard of theoretical knowledge so that you gain the competence and confidence required for an exciting and rewarding career in a variety of animal care careers.
In addition to the hands-on practical sessions you will undertake as a student at our Bentley location, you will also have the opportunity to participate in various off-site excursions and field trips to various animal related establishments including Veterinary Specialist Centres, Murdoch University Veterinary School, animal refuges and shelters as well as equine (horse) and exotic animal (small mammals such as guinea pigs, ferrets as well as birds and reptiles) facilities relevant to your training.
Due to the intensive nature of this program, our students consistently enjoy a high graduation rate with very strong employment prospects. Once completed, your Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing will be recognised and required in Australia to work as a qualified and registered Veterinary Nurse.
Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing also provides a pathway from Certificate III in Animal Studies and Certificate IV in Companion Animal Studies providing you with the vital skills to undertake and assist in clinical duties such as pathology, radiology and procedures relating to managing medical cases.
Our company is fully registered by the Australian Government training registration authority ASQA (Australian Skills Quality Authority) and the qualification offered is the nationally recognised Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing. We are supported and endorsed by the Australian Veterinary Association. Our registration authority can be viewed on the training.gov.au website, which is the Australian Government’s website for details of registered courses and training providers – View our details here.
About the full-time course
- Duration – One year full time campus-based course in Bentley, WA
- Delivery method by face to face group activities, tutorials and practicals at our Bentley, WA training centre with additional off-site excursions.
- Pre-organised practical training in a veterinary practice and arranged by our supervised work practice placement program
- Attendance required 2 days a week on campus and 2 days a week in a veterinary practice. This schedule applies during the 4 school terms.
- Next course commences: February 2017
Method of Delivery
This program is delivered via face-to-face classroom teaching, group activities/tutorials and practical classes at our modern premises as well as off-site excursions and field trips to various animal related establishments relevant to the students’ training.
The essential on-the-job veterinary nursing practical training is achieved by the placement of the student in a supportive veterinary hospital in which the student receives hands-on training, mentoring, supervision and valuable experience in all aspects of veterinary nursing over the course of the year.
There are limited places available in the full time program per year. We run two separate classes, to keep class numbers at a manageable and personable level and this enables us to deliver the highest standard of teaching, giving every student the opportunity to contribute and participate actively in classroom and practical sessions and ensures ongoing tutoring, support and instruction.
Class times and attendance requirements
The full time veterinary nursing course lasts for 1 year, starting in February with students graduating mid-December, qualified and ready for employment.
The full time classes run for 4 terms, similar to school terms. Students attend our training centre for 2 days a week (9.00am–4.00pm), followed by 2 days a week in one of our supporting veterinary practices. This cycle repeats throughout the four school terms.
About work placements
If you choose from our part-time or full-time courses, your work placement training will be organised for you in a high quality Perth, WA based veterinary hospital. AVT has been organising work placements in Western Australian veterinary hospitals since 1999 and has formed over 100 long term relationships with high quality veterinary hospitals.
So when it comes to the essential on-the-job veterinary nursing practical training you will be placed in a supportive veterinary hospital in which you will receive hands-on training, mentoring, supervision and valuable experience in all aspects of veterinary nursing over the duration of your course.
Our course fee includes insurance cover for the mandatory work placement you take during your course regardless of the course delivery method you choose.
In selecting students for our programs, our main consideration is your aptitude for working in this particular field. Although experience in an animal-related industry is favourable, it is not essential. However, in selecting students we consider three criteria.
- Your academic ability to study at this level
- Exposure to Animal Care
- Your suitability to Veterinary Nursing
For more information on our selection criteria read more
This course is now eligible for government funding. Course fees are now as follows:
Fees to student: $3,995 Concession: $2395
These approximate costs include subsidised tuition, student service fees and resource fees.
The Student tuition fees are indicative only and are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees will apply in the form of student service charges and resource fees – this will be outlined in more detail in following correspondence.
Please note that to be eligible for the subsidised fees students must:
– Be over the age of 18 years old in the year of enrolment
– Have primary residence in Western Australia
– Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or hold an approved temporary visa subclass
For students not eligible for government subsidy please see the full fee paying section below.
Students not eligible for government subsidised fees will be subject to the full fee tuition cost of $13,000
You are not required to pay the full cost of the course upfront. Should you be offered a place in the Full-time program a deposit of $500 is required to secure your place on the course.
The Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing is not currently eligible for VET FEE-HELP loans from the Government.
Some students may be eligible to receive Austudy funding via Centrelink if studying full time. For further information please click here.
How to apply
We are currently accepting applications. First round offers: First week in January 2017
Why study with AVT?
- Pre-organised work placements so you can start your practical training immediately
- High graduation and employment rate of previously certified students
- Choose your pace by selecting from one of our flexible study options; full-time, part-time or supported e-Learning courses to suit your own work and home commitments.
- Topics cover a range of animal species and you can choose your areas of special interest
- More than a classroom experience – you will meet animal care professionals in their working environment on our field trips and learn from industry guest speakers
- Know you are on track – we engage in regular student feedback and submit assessment and assignment results within 7 days of receipt so you know you are on track
- Quality course material developed by veterinary professionals and are constantly being revised with the latest techniques and information in veterinary and animal care science.
- Outstanding support by both our educators and our dedicated student support officer for everything from one-on-one coaching to IT support.
AVT qualified veterinary nurses and animal care professionals have been successfully employed in the animal services industry since 1999
Popular courses : Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Part time | Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Supported eLearning | Certificate III in Animal Studies | Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services