Start your pathway to a career in Veterinary Nursing
Are you passionate about caring for animals and see your future self working in a veterinary hospital one day? ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies Intensive (Veterinary Nursing Pathway) is just for you! This certificate will allow you to meet the prerequisite for the national qualification in veterinary nursing or start your career as an animal carer or attendant in a veterinary hospital.
Our 10-week intensive course is based at our AVT simulated veterinary training facility in Clarkson, WA (North of Perth). The course format means you do not have to spend time finding your own work placement. Instead, you will learn your hands-on practical training alongside a small group (12) of other students. Highly experienced AVT trainers will instruct and supervise your practical training and you will also be required to complete home-based online learning throughout the week.
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Practical Training and Class time: 1 day per week
- Location: Clarkson
- Online Study time: 25 hours per week
- Prerequisite: Not required
- Next intake: October 2021
- Best suited to: Students considering a career in Vet Nursing or commencing a career as an Animal Care Assistant
- Pathway: Vet Nursing (Apply for Online Studies or 2022 Full-time Intake)* or seek Entry-Level Employment
Your course structure will be as follows:-
- On-site Practical Training - Your course starts with an orientation day at our AVT Simulated Veterinary Training facility in Clarkson on your first day. After which, you will be required to attend classes one day per week to receive intensive practical training delivered by qualified and highly experienced AVT trainers. Training days will commence at 8.00am and finish around 3.30pm on either a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. We will endeavor to meet your preference of days but this can not be guaranteed. Students are expected to participate in ALL practical training days.
- Online eLearning - You will also require approximately 25 hours per week of home-based study for completing theory and preparing and submitting assessments.
- be available to participate in ALL work placement days and class days at our training facility (one day per week - fixed day to be determined by AVT prior to course commencement)
- be physically capable of restraining animals, handling animal feed e.g. large bags of food of up to 10 kg and standing for extended periods of time
- have a reliable internet connection and access to a desktop computer or laptop. You will be required to write, submit and in some cases upload assessments and various types of multi-media files online in your own time, therefore we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for your studies
- be proficient in speaking and writing in English
- not attending high school for the duration of the course
- due to the required workload and level of study, have a minimum level of schooling up to and including year 10, with a good understanding of science and maths.
Our courses are highly competitive and have limited places. Therefore, successful students are selected based on prior work experience, education, individual attitude and aptitude. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by an AVT team member.
Students with eligible credit transfers may apply, however due to the course delivery format, 100% attendance is required for orientation/induction and practical placement days and therefore full course fees will apply.
You will become familiar with working in the animal care industry including the veterinary industry, as well as learning the fundamental principles of animal health and well-being, environmental sustainability, enrichment for animals and much much more. For a full list of units, please visit this page.
|Certificate II in Animal Studies|
Blended learning, 1 day onsite
|Dedicated student support|
|One-on-one mentoring by AVT lecturers|
|Assessments and Certification|
|Workplace practical insurance cover|
|AVT practical kit including uniform, name badge and workbook|
|Total course fees|
|Payable via our monthly payment plan||Initial payment of $1,500 plus|
3 x $716 instalment payments
*Fees, inclusions and payment plan amounts are subject to change.
If you decide to withdraw from study for any reason, refunds are not issued. Please see our policies page for full details.
- an AVT scrub top (supplied by AVT)
- enclosed black shoes (supplied by student),
- neatly presented, long comfortable work pants suitable for bending and manual work (supplied by student).
Many people aspire to work with animals and a Certificate II in Animal Studies can lead to a wide variety of qualification and/or job pathways in the animal care industry. Although this course has a veterinary nursing focus, the qualification will also prepare you for an introduction to the following vocations.
Animal welfare carers, veterinary assistants and vet nurses, council and ranger services, wild life carers and animal fauna rehabilitation workers, conservation workers, pet service related business owners, home-based pet services, sanctuary management, park rangers, wildlife rangers, pet grooming, animal trainers, cattery attendants, boarding kennel hands, pet daycare centres, agistment facilities and retail businesses such as pet shops.
Click here to visit our general Certificate II information page and learn more about career opportunities.
Apply Here Now
This course has limited places with high demand. We reserve the right to close course intakes before the advertised close date. We recommend submitting your application below, as early as possible.
For more information about COVID-19 and our courses select this link
Why choose an intensive pathway course for Animal Studies?
- This intensive pathway is designed to meet the prerequisite for Veterinary Nursing – you can gain your qualification in 10 weeks and can then apply for ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing to become a qualified veterinary nurse*
- Professionally managed and delivered course - with on-site supervision, complete with tutorials and lectures to help you understand and apply theory with ease
- Qualified lecturers delivering supervised practical training and assessment with a structured study time table to ensure you stay on track and are learning from the best.
- No stress! - you do not have to find a work placement for the course. Your entire practical training is completed at reputable animal care facilities alongside other students.
- This certificate increases your opportunities for employment in the animal care industry and gives recognition towards entry into further studies at a Certificate IV level (eg Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing).
What students from AVT's other courses say ...
Having had no animal learning before, I find this course brilliant with clear concise notes, knowledgeable lecturers and RSPCA staff, and especially having the day at the RSPCA is extremely beneficial. Hands on learning and getting interaction with animals is a great help in learning handling behaviours.
This course has taught me the basic care of animals and about animal health in general. This course allows people to get hands on experience and lecturers to provide practical care to animals. Thus; others with an interest in animals will gain and have a positive outcome to the course, alike to me.
Everyone is super helpful if you need anything explained. Skye conducts classes in a relaxed and friendly environment so I feel comfortable joining in, and she is always willing to explain anything until everything is clarified.