We are seeking an enthusiastic, motivated individual who has a genuine love of animals for an exciting new role at our conveniently located campus in Ascot.
What are the responsibilities of this role?
This role will oversee the care and husbandry of our on-campus animals, including their housing, welfare, health and well-being. You will also be responsible for scheduling animal based activities as required by the AVT trainers.
This position offers a rare opportunity to join a friendly, supportive and vibrant team with a genuine passion for providing training opportunities for those in the animal care industry.
The duties of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the daily care, welfare and enrichment of all animals at our Ascot campus, including food preparation and feeding, cleaning, handling, socialisation, monitoring their behaviour, enrichment and health care
- Following stringent protocols and procedures to maintain the highest standards of hygiene, animal welfare and health and safety guidelines to ensure animal, personal, staff and student security and safety
- Maintaining detailed accurate records of feeding, observations and care
- Demonstrating the highest level of respect, patience, care and compassion towards all animals in your care at all times, setting the example for students to follow
- Supervising and assisting students with the care and handling of the animals
- Co-ordinating the schedule of animals for different classes and activities
- Co-ordinating and setting up of equipment and other specimens for practical training sessions
- Daily property maintenance (both inside and outside); this will include upkeep of enclosures, professional presentation of the campus, setting up and maintaining a vegetable patch through to cleaning and tidying up of classrooms, student and staff lunch rooms
- Being an integral member of the AVT Animal Ethics committee and maintaining related policies
- Taking photographs and videos of our animals and students suitable for social media
- Providing support to the AVT team on a day-to-day basis including administration support when required
- Ordering animal feed and campus supplies
- Inventory stocktake and monitoring
Our team are chosen for their professional attributes, their intrinsic love of animals and their ability to contribute productively within a team environment.
In order to thrive in this role, the right candidate should ideally hold the following attributes:
- Previous experience in an animal care role, including basic knowledge of animal husbandry, behaviour, disease recognition and safe handling is highly desirable
- Holds a Certificate II in Animal Studies (or equivalent) or higher qualification
- Experience and comfortable working with and handling a variety of sizes and species of animals including cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, snakes and more.
- Genuine commitment to providing a high standard of care and compassion to our animals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- A mature, responsible mindset
- Friendly, positive, flexible, can-do attitude
- Reliable, punctual, proactive, with a strong work ethic
- Able to follow instructions well, with good attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team and autonomously
- Physically fit and capable of lifting heavy objects (up to 15kg)
- Comfortable taking photos and videos of students and animals for social media
- Digital literacy for data administration
What’s on offer?
This is an amazing opportunity for you to:-
- Work in a professional, supportive and vibrant environment
- Enjoy daily cuddles with our animal community and be responsible for their safety and well-being
- Be supported by a talented team
- Help many enthusiastic and passionate students
- Enjoy an animal friendly workplace
- Have your weekends off!
- Be provided with uniforms
- Opportunity to complete a Certificate III in Animal Care (traineeship)
This role will be on a full-time basis, working 5 days (8 hours per day) from Monday to Friday. Start and finish times will vary between the hours of 7.30am and 5.00pm.
Due to the amount of interest we anticipate receiving for this exciting opportunity, we will only be contacting those who are successful in moving to the next round.
How to apply
Please use the online form below to submit your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you would make a great candidate for this role and why you would like to join the AVT team.