Important changes to the National Qualifications in Animal Studies and Veterinary Nursing
Updates and proposed updates to the National Training Package, Animal Care and Management (ACM) have now been released and have a direct impact on all AVT National Qualifications.
Updates were released by the organisation that is responsible for review and development of the ACM Training Package in November 2017.
Changes to Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing (ACM40412 update to ACM40418)
The ACM40412 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing qualification has recently been updated by the organisation responsible for the development and review of the ACM Training Package. The new qualification has been endorsed, however all training organisations now have to apply to the relevant government bodies to deliver the qualification. AVT has submitted this application and we are now awaiting approval.
As a result of the update, this means:-
- The ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary nursing now has a pre-requisite requirement:
Students must hold a Certificate II in Animal Studies OR hold a relevant Certificate III or higher level qualification in an animal science discipline OR can demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant animal science discipline to any of the above qualifications.
- ACM40418 will not be directly equivalent to the current ACM40412 qualification.
What happens if I am already studying ACM40412 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing?
Students who are already enrolled in ACM40412 will need to complete their entire qualification within the timelines established at the commencement of their studies but no later than the 11th December 2019. No extensions will be granted as there will be a limited time frame for the transition between ACM40412 and ACM40418. Students who are unable to complete by this date will be required to transition to the new course (fees may apply).
For those students who have only partially completed or already hold the current ACM40412, but wish to be awarded the new ACM40418 qualification, additional gap training to upgrade to the new qualification will need to be completed to meet the new competency requirements of the updated qualification. Fees will apply.
I currently hold the ACM40412 Certificate IV in Vet Nursing qualification. Do I need to update to ACM40418 to be qualified in Australia?
Currently, all veterinary nurses who hold the ACM40412 Certificate IV in Vet Nursing will continue to be qualified in Australia.
I want to start my veterinary nursing studies now, what should I do?
There are three options:-
- If you are Perth based, apply today for the full-time on-campus course ACM40412 Certificate IV in Vet Nursing commencing in February 2019. APPLY HERE – no compulsory pre-requisites required.
- If you wish to study via our eLearning option and you meet the pre-requisite requirements for ACM40418 Cert IV in Vet Nursing (ie you have ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies or ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies OR you can demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge in a relevant animal science discipline to any of the above qualifications) then register your ‘Expressions of Interest’ HERE. The next intake will be in February 2019.
- If you do not meet the above pre-requisites for the future ACM40418 course, enrol today in ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies or ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies or our ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies at the RSPCA WA.
For more information on ACM40412 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing >>
Changes to Certificate II and III in Animal Studies
For the majority of the qualifications in the new ACM Training Package, the changes have been minor updates with the competency outcomes of the qualification remaining unchanged, and as such, these qualifications have been deemed equivalent to the superseded versions. The qualification codes have been updated to reflect that they are the most current version.
The notable changes for our qualifications codes are:
- ACM20110 Certificate II in Animal Studies has changed to ACM20117 Certificate II in Animals Studies
- ACM30110 Certificate III in Animal Studies has changed to ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies
For more information about the current course visit ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies >>
For more information about the current course visit ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies >>