Veterinary Nursing Course Overview
We offer students the opportunity to complete the ACM40412 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing via full time, part time or correspondence (Supported eLearning) study modes.
Our courses are designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills required to start your career as a veterinary nurse. We combine a high standard of theoretical knowledge with intensive practical training in veterinary practice so that you gain the competence and confidence required for this exciting and rewarding career.
This qualification is recognised and required in Australia to work as a qualified and registered Veterinary Nurse.
The qualification includes the following units of competency:
|ACMWHS301A||Contribute to workplace health and safety|
|ACMSPE310A||Provide basic care of mammals|
|ACMACR403A||Identify and respond to animal behaviour|
|ACMGAS204A||Feed and water animals|
|ACMINF301A||Comply with infection control policies and procedures in animal work|
|ACMVET401A||Coordinate patient admission and discharge|
|ACMGAS205A||Assist in health care of animals|
|ACMGAS208A||Source information for animal care needs|
|ACMVET203A||Assist with surgery preparation|
|ACMVET408A||Coordinate and perform theatre routines|
|ACMVET403A||Perform clinic pathology procedures|
|ACMVET402A||Apply imaging routines|
|ACMVET407A||Carry out medical nursing routines|
|ACMVET405A||Carry out surgical nursing routines|
|ACMVET410A||Carry out veterinary dental nursing procedures|
|ACMVET201A||Carry out veterinary nursing reception duties|
|ACMGAS202A||Participate in workplace communications|
|ACMVET202A||Carry out daily clinic routines|
|ACMVET404A||Perform clinic office procedures|
|ACMVET409A||Provide specific animal care advice|
|BSBCUS301||Deliver and monitor a service to customers|
|BSBPRO301||Recommend products and services|
We offer this course in 3 different ways:
To read more details about our programs, click on the course links above.
Applied Vocational Training is fully registered by the Australian Government training registration authority ASQA (Australian Skills Quality Authority) and the qualification offered is the nationally recognised Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing. We are supported and endorsed by the Australian Veterinary Association.
Our registration authority can be viewed on the training.gov.au website, which is the Australian Government’s website for details of registered courses and training providers – view our details at training.gov.au here.
Why study with AVT?
- Pre-organised work placements so you can start your practical training immediately^
- High graduation and employment rate of previously certified students
- Choose your pace by selecting from one of our flexible study options; full-time, part-time or supported e-Learning courses to suit your own work and home commitments.
- Topics cover a range of animal species and you can choose your areas of special interest
- More than a classroom experience – you will meet animal care professionals in their working environment on our field trips and learn from industry guest speakers^
- Know you are on track – we engage in regular student feedback and submit assessment and assignment results within 7 days of receipt so you know you are on track
- Quality course material developed by veterinary professionals and are constantly being revised with the latest techniques and information in veterinary and animal care science.
- Outstanding support by both our educators and our dedicated student support officer for everything from one-on-one coaching to IT support.
^applies to on-campus courses only
AVT qualified veterinary nurses and animal care professionals have been successfully employed in the animal services industry since 1999
Popular courses : Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Full time | Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Equine Stream | Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Part time | Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing – Supported eLearning | Certificate III in Animal Studies | Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services