Study your qualification at the RSPCA in Malaga WA
Our nationally recognised ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies is now available as a six month on-campus course, based entirely at the RSPCA shelter facility, in Malaga, WA. This unique opportunity means your essential practical training as well as your on-site tutorials will take place at the RSPCA facility and you will not be required to find a work placement. Our fully qualified AVT lecturers will supervise your practical training and deliver the classroom based course material supplemented by online learning via our elearning centre.
During the course you will become familiar with the fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry. In addition to the topics covered in the Certificate III course, our 6 month intensive program introduces you to:-
- behaviour and enrichment for different animal species,
- detailed nutrition plans including their use in the recovery of strays and mistreated animals,
- caring for animals including rehabilitation and care of rescued animals,
- foster care and it’s role in the animal welfare system,
- the RSPCA inspectorate and their role in managing animal care cases in the community.
- Weeks 1-2 Pre-course online theory and orientation day - Your initial weeks of study will commence with a full day orientation and induction at the AVT Bentley campus followed by theory based learning in the comfort of your home (approx 10-20 hours each week).
- Weeks 3-22 RSPCA training days and online eLearning - Attendance one day per week for twenty weeks at the RSPCA's facility in Malaga to receive the intensive practical training by qualified AVT trainers. Training days will commence at 7.30am-4.00pm on either a Wednesday or Friday (please note we endeavour to meet your preference of days but this can not be guaranteed). Students are expected to participate in ALL practical training days, as well as 10-20 hours/week of home based study dedicated to theory and preparation and submission of assessments.
- be at least 18 years of age, due to RSPCA policies and guidelines
- be available to participate in ALL work placement days and class days at the RSPCA (one day per week - fixed day to be determined by AVT prior to course commencement)
- be physically capable of restraining animals, handling animal feed e.g. large bags of food of up to 15 kg and standing for extended periods of time
- have a reliable internet connection and access to a desktop computer or laptop. You will be required to write, submit and in some cases upload assessments and various types of multi-media files online in your own time, therefore we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for your studies
- be proficient in speaking and writing in English
- due to the required workload and level of study, have a minimum level of schooling up to and including year 10, with a good understanding of science and maths.
Students with eligible credit transfers may apply, however due to the course delivery format, 100% attendance is required for orientation/induction and practical placement days and therefore full course fees will apply.
- ACMSPE304 Provide basic care of domestic dogs OR
- ACMSPE305 Provide basic care of domestic cats.
|Certificate III in Animal Studies|
RSPCA based course
Blended learning, 1 day onsite
|Dedicated student support|
|One-on-one mentoring at the RSPCA by AVT lecturers|
|Assessments and Certification|
|Workplace practical insurance cover|
|AVT practical kit including uniform, name badge and workbook|
|Total course fees|
|Payable via our monthly payment plan||Initial payment of $1,495 plus|
5 x $800 monthly payments
- an AVT shirt (supplied by AVT)
- steel capped shoes (supplied by student),
- neatly presented, long comfortable work pants suitable for bending and manual work (supplied by student).
Click here to visit our general Certificate III information page and learn more about career opportunities.
- Step 1 Apply using our online form during an application open period.
- Step 2 Your application will be reviewed by AVT. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted you for an interview
- Step 3 Successful applicants will be emailed an offer including payment plan details
- Step 4 You will be required to activate your payment plan prior to course commencement
Why choose the RSPCA based course?
- Fast track intensive course – allowing you to gain your qualification within 6 months at a purpose built, fully equipped facility with experienced, trained AVT and RSPCA supervisors
- No stress! - you do not have to find a work placement for the course. Your entire practical training is completed at the RSPCA shelter facility in Malaga
- Potential future employment opportunities at the RSPCA for select students on completion of the course
- You will be working with a variety of animals and have an opportunity to learn about their unique behavioural challenges and care needs. This type of exposure is not only interesting but will give you an advantage over other students
- This certificate increases your opportunities for employment in the animal care industry and gives recognition towards entry into further studies at a Certificate IV level (eg Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services or Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing).
|Next Intake||Enrolments Open||Enrolments Close||Course Commencement||Training Completion|
|July 2019 Intake||Now||31st May 2019||5th July 2019||December 2019|
Apply now for our July intake!
|ACM30117 Certificate III in Animal Studies - 2019 - RSPCA Malaga - July 2019 Intake|
Our students' experiences in their words ...
Having had no animal learning before, I find this course brilliant with clear concise notes, knowledgeable lecturers and RSPCA staff, and especially having the day at the RSPCA is extremely beneficial. Hands on learning and getting interaction with animals is a great help in learning handling behaviours.
This course has taught me the basic care of animals and about animal health in general. This course allows people to get hands on experience and lecturers to provide practical care to animals. Thus; others with an interest in animals will gain and have a positive outcome to the course, alike to me.
Everyone is super helpful if you need anything explained. Skye conducts classes in a relaxed and friendly environment so I feel comfortable joining in, and she is always willing to explain anything until everything is clarified.