Kick-start your career at two of Perth's leading Animal Rescue Organisations
If you have dreamed of working with animals and are wondering where to start, we highly recommend ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies to give you the foundation skills and knowledge to commence your career. Our intensive 14 week course based at the Cat Haven and Dogs’ Refuge Home in Shenton Park, is the quickest way to gain this nationally recognised qualification and obtain valuable work experience in two of Perth’s leading animal shelters.
This unique format course also means you do not have to worry about finding your own work placement. Your essential practical training will take place in a small group setting with other like-minded students. You will be under the supervision of AVT fully qualified and experienced lecturers and you will participate in classroom based learning as well as online learning.
What will you learn?
During the course you will become familiar with the fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry. In addition to the topics covered in the Certificate II in Animal Studies course, you will be introduced to:-
- fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry,
- animal health and well-being,
- first aid for animals,
- enrichment for animals and much much more.
Your course structure will be as follows:-
- On-site Practical Training - Your course commences with a full day of induction training at the Dogs' Refuge Home. You will then be required to spend a day per week for the duration of the course at either the Cat Haven or Dogs' Refuge Home (both located in Shenton Park, WA) to receive the intensive practical training by qualified AVT trainers. All students will be trained at both facilities. Training days will commence at 8.00am and finish around 4.00pm on either a Tuesday or Thursday. We will endeavour to meet your preference of days but this can not be guaranteed and students are expected to participate in ALL practical training days.
- Online eLearning - You will also require approximately 25 hours per week of home based study for completing theory and preparing and submitting assessments.
- be available to participate in ALL work placement days and class days at AVT and the animal care facility (one day per week - fixed day to be determined by AVT prior to course commencement)
- be physically capable of restraining animals, handling animal feed e.g. large bags of food of up to 10 kg and standing for extended periods of time
- have a reliable internet connection and access to a desktop computer or laptop. You will be required to write, submit and in some cases upload assessments and various types of multi-media files online in your own time, therefore we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for your studies
- be proficient in speaking and writing in English
- must be at least 18 years of age
- due to the required workload and level of study, have a minimum level of schooling up to and including year 10, with a good understanding of science and maths.
Students with eligible credit transfers may apply, however due to the course delivery format, 100% attendance is required for orientation/induction and practical placement days and therefore full course fees will apply.
You will become familiar with the fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry, animal health and well-being, environmental sustainability, enrichment for animals and much much more. For a full list of units, please visit this page. noting the following exceptions:-
- Your nominated elective will be ACMSPE305 Provide basic care of domestic cats.
- ACMGAS302 Provide enrichment for animals will replace BSBINM201 Process and maintain workplace information.
|Certificate II in Animal Studies|
Blended learning, 1 day onsite
|Dedicated student support|
|One-on-one mentoring by AVT lecturers|
|Assessments and Certification|
|Workplace practical insurance cover|
|AVT practical kit including uniform, name badge and workbook|
|Total course fees|
|Payable via our monthly payment plan||Initial payment of $1,497 plus|
4 x $512 monthly payments
*Fees, inclusions and payment plan amounts are subject to change.
If you decide to withdraw from study for any reason, refunds are not issued. Please see our policies page for full details.
- an AVT shirt (supplied by AVT)
- steel capped shoes (supplied by student),
- neatly presented, long comfortable work pants suitable for bending and manual work (supplied by student).
Click here to visit our general Certificate II information page and learn more about career opportunities.
- Step 1 Apply using our online form during an application open period. If an application period is not open you can register your details and we will contact you when applications are open.
- Step 2 Your application will be reviewed by AVT. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted you for an interview
- Step 3 Successful applicants will be emailed an offer including payment plan details
- Step 4 You will be required to activate your payment plan prior to course commencement
Fast track your career path to Vet Nursing
ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies or equivalent is the minimum pre-requisite for ACM40418 Cert IV in Veterinary Nursing. With this 14 week on-campus and elearning (blended) course you can now fast track your application for our Veterinary Nursing qualification.*
Why choose an intensive pathway course for Animal Studies?
- This intensive pathway is designed to meet the prerequisite for Veterinary Nursing – you can gain your qualification in 14 weeks and can then apply for ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing to become a qualified veterinary nurse*
- Professionally managed and delivered course - with on-site supervision, complete with tutorials and lectures to help you understand and apply theory with ease
- Qualified lecturers delivering supervised practical training and assessment with a structured study time table to ensure you stay on track and are learning from the best.
- No stress! - you do not have to find a work placement for the course. Your entire practical training is completed at reputable animal care facilities alongside other students.
- This certificate increases your opportunities for employment in the animal care industry and gives recognition towards entry into further studies at a Certificate IV level (eg Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing).
*Please note: Completion of this qualification does not guarantee you a place in ACM40418 Cert IV in Veterinary Nursing. Please read our Course Entry page for more information
Looking for full details about the Certificate II in Animal Studies qualification, please visit ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies
Register Here Now!
|ACM20117 – Intensive Course (2020 Intake)|
What students from AVT's other courses say ...
Having had no animal learning before, I find this course brilliant with clear concise notes, knowledgeable lecturers and RSPCA staff, and especially having the day at the RSPCA is extremely beneficial. Hands on learning and getting interaction with animals is a great help in learning handling behaviours.
This course has taught me the basic care of animals and about animal health in general. This course allows people to get hands on experience and lecturers to provide practical care to animals. Thus; others with an interest in animals will gain and have a positive outcome to the course, alike to me.
Everyone is super helpful if you need anything explained. Skye conducts classes in a relaxed and friendly environment so I feel comfortable joining in, and she is always willing to explain anything until everything is clarified.