An intensive pathway to your veterinary nursing career - NEW!
ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies or equivalent is the minimum pre-requisite for ACM40418 Cert IV in Veterinary Nursing. The great news is our nationally recognised Certificate II in Animal Studies is now available as a 14 week on-campus and elearning (blended) course so you can fast track your application for our Veterinary Nursing qualification.*
This unique format course also means you do not need to find a work placement. Your essential practical training will take place with other students at reputable, well-known animal care facilities in Perth. You will be under the supervision of AVT fully qualified and experienced lecturers. You will also participate in classroom based learning as well as online learning via our e-learning centre.
During the course you will become familiar with the fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry. In addition to the topics covered in the Certificate II in Animal Studies course, our 14 week intensive program will introduce you to:-
- fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry,
- animal health and well-being,
- first aid for animals,
- enrichment for animals and much much more.
- Weeks 1-2 Orientation day, pre-course practical training day and online theory - The initial 2 weeks of the course will commence with a full day orientation and induction at the AVT Bentley campus followed by a pre-course practical training day at our AVT campus. You will also be required to complete theory based learning in the comfort of your home (approx 20-25 hours each week).
- Weeks 3-14 On-site at an animal care facility plus online eLearning from home - Attendance one day per week* for 12 weeks at the animal care facility to receive the intensive practical training by qualified AVT trainers. Training days will commence at 7.30am and finish around 4.00pm on either a Tuesday or Thursday (please note: we endeavour to meet your preference of days but this can not be guaranteed). Students are expected to participate in ALL practical training days, as well as be able to allocate 20-25 hours/week of home based study dedicated to theory and preparation and submission of assessments.
- be available to participate in ALL work placement days and class days at AVT and the animal care facility (one day per week - fixed day to be determined by AVT prior to course commencement)
- be physically capable of restraining animals, handling animal feed e.g. large bags of food of up to 15 kg and standing for extended periods of time
- have a reliable internet connection and access to a desktop computer or laptop. You will be required to write, submit and in some cases upload assessments and various types of multi-media files online in your own time, therefore we strongly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for your studies
- be proficient in speaking and writing in English
- due to the required workload and level of study, have a minimum level of schooling up to and including year 10, with a good understanding of science and maths.
This course is highly competitive and has limited places. Therefore, successful students are selected based on prior work experience, education, individual attitude and aptitude. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by an AVT team member.
Students with eligible credit transfers may apply, however due to the course delivery format, 100% attendance is required for orientation/induction and practical placement days and therefore full course fees will apply.
You will become familiar with the fundamental principles of working in the animal care industry, animal health and well-being, environmental sustainability, enrichment for animals and much much more. For a full list of units, please visit this page. noting the following exceptions:-
- A majority of your practical skills will be assessed in a dog related animal care facility, therefore your nominated elective will be ACMSPE304 Provide basic care of domestic dogs.
- ACMGAS302 Provide enrichment for animals will replace BSBINM201 Process and maintain workplace information.
|Certificate II in Animal Studies|
Blended learning, 1 day onsite
|Dedicated student support|
|One-on-one mentoring by AVT lecturers|
|Assessments and Certification|
|Workplace practical insurance cover|
|AVT practical kit including uniform, name badge and workbook|
|Total course fees|
|Payable via our monthly payment plan||Initial payment of $1,544 plus|
3 x $667 monthly payments
*Fees, inclusions and payment plan amounts are subject to change.
If you decide to withdraw from study for any reason, refunds are not issued. Please see our policies page for full details.
- an AVT shirt (supplied by AVT)
- steel capped shoes (supplied by student),
- neatly presented, long comfortable work pants suitable for bending and manual work (supplied by student).
Click here to visit our general Certificate II information page and learn more about career opportunities.
- Step 1 Apply using our online form during an application open period.
- Step 2 Your application will be reviewed by AVT. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted you for an interview
- Step 3 Successful applicants will be emailed an offer including payment plan details
- Step 4 You will be required to activate your payment plan prior to course commencement
Why choose an intensive pathway course for Animal Studies?
- This intensive pathway is designed to meet the prerequisite for Veterinary Nursing – you can gain your qualification in 14 weeks and can then apply for ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing to become a qualified veterinary nurse*
- Professionally managed and delivered course - with on-site supervision, complete with tutorials and lectures to help you understand and apply theory with ease
- Qualified lecturers delivering supervised practical training and assessment with a structured study time table to ensure you stay on track and are learning from the best.
- No stress! - you do not have to find a work placement for the course. Your entire practical training is completed at reputable animal care facilities alongside other students.
- This certificate increases your opportunities for employment in the animal care industry and gives recognition towards entry into further studies at a Certificate IV level (eg Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing).
*Please note: Completion of this qualification does not guarantee you a place in ACM40418 Cert IV in Veterinary Nursing. Please read our Course Entry page for more information
|Next Intake||Enrolments Open||Enrolments Close||Commencement||Completion|
|September 2019||Open July||12/08/2019||02/09/2019||December 2019|
Looking for full details about the Certificate II in Animal Studies qualification, please visit ACM20117 Certificate II in Animal Studies
Register your interest for the September 2019 intake
What students from AVT's other courses say ...
Having had no animal learning before, I find this course brilliant with clear concise notes, knowledgeable lecturers and RSPCA staff, and especially having the day at the RSPCA is extremely beneficial. Hands on learning and getting interaction with animals is a great help in learning handling behaviours.
This course has taught me the basic care of animals and about animal health in general. This course allows people to get hands on experience and lecturers to provide practical care to animals. Thus; others with an interest in animals will gain and have a positive outcome to the course, alike to me.
Everyone is super helpful if you need anything explained. Skye conducts classes in a relaxed and friendly environment so I feel comfortable joining in, and she is always willing to explain anything until everything is clarified.