Why now is the best time to take the next step and start your journey to work with animals
In this video, we meet Sue Bain who has worked within the veterinary industry for many years including in the role as General Manager at AVT. She talks about her thoughts on why now is a fantastic time to start a career working with animals.
Is a career in animal care a good idea?
Yes, we think now is one of the best times to consider a career change or to start out your career working with animals. In Sue’s video, she highlights some of the key reasons why.
Sue’s top reasons for taking action
- Australia’s pet population is growing. In fact, the pet population in Australia is higher than the human population.
- Pet owners are spending over 14 billion dollars every year to keep their pets healthy, fed and accessorised.
- The COVID-19 pandemic contributed to the growing interest in pet ownership and expenditure it also led to many areas of the animal care and management industry being recognised as an essential service.
- Natural disasters in Australia including droughts, flooding and fires have resulted in the widespread injury and fatality of native fauna. Also creating a need for skilled workers in animal care including native animal rehabilitation and conservation.
- Recognised areas of growth include veterinary services, sales of products and accessories, boarding and minding services, training and behaviour services, alternative healthcare options and grooming.
Why you should consider a qualification in animal care
While the demand for animal care workers across these industries is increasing, Sue also encourages people to gain some foundation knowledge and skills before making a start. She is finding employers from both non-profit and profit-based organisations are demanding more experience and knowledge of their recruits.
It is certainly an exciting time in the world of animal care and there are many opportunities for those wishing to consider a career working with animals.
What are your options to get started?
We have been training animal care, animal behaviour and training, equine care and veterinary nursing students for over 25 years in Australia. Students who undertake AVT courses range from high school-aged students just starting their pre-vocational journey right through to mature-aged students seeking an alternative career path. Graduates are highly respected and sought after by industry professionals, businesses and organisations. If you want the background knowledge and skills to help you secure your career in the animal care industry, check out our qualifications here or gain new skills by studying one of our short courses.